Gordon Murray Design's T.27 Wins Top Prize at RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge
Surrey, UK – (November 7, 2011) – Gordon Murray Design’s T.27 won the ‘Most Energy Efficient Small Car (Prototype),’ ‘Best Overall Pure Electric Vehicle’ and ‘Best Overall Entry – RAC Future Car Challenge Winner’ at Saturday’s Brighton to London Future Car Challenge. Gordon Murray Design chose the challenge to be the T.27’s on-the-road debut.
- The event is hosted by the Royal Automobile Club and is the world’s leading low-energy driving challenge for Electric, Hybrid and Low-Emission ICE vehicles.
- The challenge is performed on a 60-mile route from Madeira Drive, Brighton to Pall Mall, Regent Street, London.
- The goal of the event is to use the least energy possible on the route, demonstrating new automotive green technology as it is run in real-world traffic conditions.
- The T.27 covered 57.13 miles from Brighton to London carrying two occupants and used less than 64 pence worth of energy, the equivalent of achieving 350 MPG. On a full charge, the T.27 can drive more than 100 miles.
- The T.27 uses Gordon Murray Design’s iStream® manufacturing process which aims to significantly reduce lifecycle impacts and enable low-cost, efficient manufacture. The T.27 meets high-levels of safety – recent durability tests prove the T.27’s iStream® chassis is up to 60 times more durable than a standard steel structure.
- The T.27 sets new standards in weight, footprint, small-car dynamics, safety, packaging and efficiency, addressing concerns regarding CO2 emissions, congestion, parking and low-cost motoring.
- The design and development program was a £9 million project, made possible through a £4.5 million investment from the government-backed Technology Strategy Board; Consortium partners include Zytek Automotive Ltd, Michelin and Vocis.
- Professor Gordon Murray, CEO and Technical Director of Gordon Murray Design, said: “This win represents a huge step forward in our race to reduce automotive energy consumption and emissions. This year’s success in combination with last year’s win with our petrol powered T.25, awarded ‘Most Economic Small Passenger ICE Vehicle’ and ‘Most Economic and Environment Friendly Small Passenger ICE Vehicle,’ proves absolutely that lightweight is our most powerful tool for solving our energy problems. Our team is proud to have worked with the Technology Strategy Board and our other partners on this exciting program and we look forward to working with a manufacturing partner to make the T.27 with its low running costs available to the motoring public”.
- David Bott, Director of Innovation Programs at the Technology Strategy Board, said: “Gordon Murray Design and their partners deserve every congratulation. The T.27 is a great example of creative thinking, sustainable vehicle design, clever engineering and innovative manufacturing coming together to deliver an extremely efficient electric vehicle. We are delighted to have been involved in such a dynamic technological innovation."
- Neil Heslington, Managing Director of Zytek Automotive Limited, said: “It was fantastic to see the T.27 scoop the top prize today, especially knowing the hard work and innovative effort that the combined teams of Zytek and Gordon Murray Design have put in, the remarkable performance from the combination of ultra-lightweight drivetrain and vehicle systems show us the way forward for low energy transport”.
- Jonathan Feiber, a board member and general partner with Silicon Valley venture capital firm Mohr Davidow Ventures, added: “The iStream® process allows licensing partners to set new standards in low-carbon automotive manufacturing environmental impact, cost and efficiency.”
About Gordon Murray Design
Gordon Murray Design Limited is a British company operating from Shalford in Surrey. The company is recognized as a world leader in automotive design and challenges the current industry trend of sub-contracting by having a complete in-house capability for design, prototyping and development. The company is compact and focused, undertaking automotive and other engineering programs in an efficient and innovative way. For more information, please visit www.gordonmurraydesign.com .
About The Technology Strategy Board
The Technology Strategy Board is a business-led government body which works to create economic growth by ensuring that the UK is a global leader in innovation. Sponsored by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), the Technology Strategy Board brings together business, research and the public sector, supporting and accelerating the development of innovative products and services to meet market needs, tackle major societal challenges and help build the future economy. For more information, please visit www.innovateuk.org.
About Zytek Automotive Limited
Zytek Automotive Limited is a British engineering company with a reputation for success, pursued both on and off the track. Its substantial automotive engineering experience has been gained by providing major vehicle manufacturers with advanced powertrain and chassis control systems. This expertise led to the rapid growth of its engineering consultancy business, and most recently, to the design, development and manufacture of innovative Hybrid and Electric drivetrains. For more information, please visit www.zytekgroup.co.uk.
The iStream® assembly process is a complete rethink and redesign of the traditional automotive manufacturing process. Development of iStream® began 15 years ago and has already won the prestigious ‘Idea of the Year’ award from Autocar. The process simplifies manufacturing by installing all components on the chassis before fitting the pre-painted body panels, allowing the cars to be built in a smaller, energy-efficient factory. Faster build time and easy-to-implement improvements reduce capital expenses and significantly reduce lifecycle CO2. For more information, please visit http://gordonmurraydesign.com/istream.php .